Are you shopping for a new refrigerator and wondering which brand is the most reliable?
Refrigerators are the most repaired appliance in the home, but you can limit issues by picking the right brand.
In this guide, I reveal the most reliable refrigerator brands. I also share the least reliable brands, so you know what to avoid.
I interviewed seven appliance repair professionals, analyzed service rates, and reviewed thousands of customer testimonials to pick the best brands.
So, if you’re ready to buy a new fridge but need help deciding which brands to buy (and which to avoid), keep reading.
Use the links below to navigate the guide:
- How I Picked the Most Reliable Refrigerator Brands
- What Refrigerator Repair Professionals Say
- Results From Yale Appliance’s Annual Refrigerator Reliability Report
- Most Reliable Refrigerator Brands
- Least Reliable Refrigerator Brands
- Common Refrigerator Issues
- Bottom Line: Which Refrigerator Brand Is the Best?
How I Picked the Most Reliable Refrigerator Brands
To determine the most and least reliable refrigerator brands, I analyzed data from professionals and consumers to get a broad perspective.
Here’s a quick overview of the sources I used to make the picks.
I spoke to a variety of professionals at respected appliance service companies. Repair professionals have a unique perspective since they regularly interact with so many brands and see the inner workings of appliances.
I used the insights from those interviews to help determine the most and least reliable brands.
Since 1923, Massachusetts-based Yale Appliance has been a premier appliance retailer. More than that, Yale has a long history of repairing home appliances of all kinds, including refrigerators, dishwashers, washers, and dryers.
This experience of selling and repairing a wide variety of brands makes them a strong voice on the subject.
Yale issues annual reports of the most reliable appliance brands:
- Most Reliable Appliance Brands for 2022
- Most Reliable Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator Brands for 2022
- Most Reliable Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator Brands for 2021
These reports show the percentages of service calls Yale receives for different brands.
Of course, I can’t leave out verified purchasers of the refrigerator brands mentioned in this guide. Nothing speaks to this topic more clearly people who own these brands and use them every day.
I’ve taken time to analyze thousands of reviews from sites like Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Best Buy to provide a balanced view of what consumers think.
Nobody knows which refrigerator brands are the most and least reliable better than the professionals servicing them every day.
So, I reached out to several companies to get an expert opinion. When I connected each company, I asked two simple questions:
- Which refrigerator brands are the most reliable?
- Which refrigerator brands are the least reliable?
The chart below summarizes the responses. As you can see, almost all appliance repair experts said LG and Samsung are the least reliable refrigerator brands. While there isn’t a consensus on the most reliable brands, Whirlpool, GE, KitchenAid, Bosch, and Maytag were mentioned most often.
|Brand||Votes for Most Reliable Refrigerator||Votes for Least Reliable Refrigerator|
The appliance service team at Hunter Appliance in Littleton, Massachusetts, said, “We tend to see the lowest service call rates on Bosch, GE and KitchenAid French door fridges, and the highest on Samsung, LG, and Frigidaire. A through-the-door ice-and-water dispenser is certainly a common point of failure across all brands. Even so, we sell a majority of fridges with this feature.”
Appliance Services, LLC in Epping, New Hampshire, gave me the following advice:
- Stay away from LG and Samsung. Few companies service these brands.
- Paying more doesn’t get you a better refrigerator. They all have a 7-10 year lifespan nowadays.
- We suggest Whirlpool. Not because they’re better but because everyone will service them, including us.
- As a rule of thumb: the fewer bells and whistles, the better.
- Try to keep the ice maker in the freezer, not in the fridge door. It might mean foregoing a door dispenser, but it will save you headaches and money in the long run.
The service technician at Another Cycle Appliance Repair, Inc. in Londonderry, New Hampshire, said, “We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, and KitchenAid refrigerators — those brands are the most reliable. Samsung and LG Refrigerators are the least reliable.”
Harrison Refrigeration & Appliances in Hyde Park, Massachusetts, said, “GE, GE Profile, and Bosch are the most reliable refrigerator brands. These brands are built more sturdy, the parts are generally in stock, and they offer better customer service. KitchenAid, Jenn Air, Maytag, and Whirlpool are also reliable, but their customer service has declined lately, and parts are often on backorder.”
They went on to say, “Electrolux, Frigidaire, Samsung, LG, Blomberg, and Beko are the least reliable refrigerator brands. These brands have frequent service issues and poor customer service, and their parts are frequently on backorder or no longer available. They’re also more susceptible to premature failures.”
Ray’s Appliance in Taunton, Massachusetts, said, “In general, I don’t see a great difference in reliability between the brands today. The availability of replacement parts and local factory service companies are the most important considerations in selecting the brand. The brand we recommend above all others is GE. They have the best service and parts availability of all of the brands we carry. Samsung lacks parts availability and local service companies, and as a result, we elect not to sell the brand.”
The expert at United Appliance Parts in Schenectady, New York, said, “Most refrigerators are about the same right now. The only brands I don’t recommend are Samsung and LG because they are more expensive on parts and harder to get parts for. Also, most service companies won’t work on Samsung and LG. When shopping for a new refrigerator, find one that has the space you need inside and try to spend as little money as possible. Most new refrigerators only last about 8-10 years, so it’s not worth spending a lot of money on the new ones.”
Hub Appliance in Boston, Massachusetts, put it simply. They said, “Stay away from LG, Samsung, and GE. Whirlpool refrigerators are the most reliable. Fancy models have fancy (and expensive) problems.”
Before sharing the results of recent Yale Appliance reports, I want to provide a quick background on why this data is trustworthy.
If an appliance retailer also provides repair services, it’s in its best interest to sell reliable brands. The business must pay the service team, maintain a parts warehouse or budget, manage a fleet of service vehicles, and pay multiple insurance premiums for workers.
Selling reliable refrigerators and having access to affordable parts keeps retailers’ costs down.
Our Favorite Products in One Convenient Place
Want to see all the products we recommend in one convenient place? Visit the Prudent Reviews Amazon shop to browse a handpicked selection of our favorite cookware, kitchen knives, appliances, and more.
As an Amazon Associate Prudent Reviews earns from qualifying purchases.
The following data from the report comes from Yale’s actual service calls, not anecdotal or predictive data.
The chart below shows three years of data from tens of thousands of service calls in recent years:
Note: Service Ratio is calculated by dividing the number of refrigerators Yale Appliance serviced in the first year by the number sold.
|Refrigerator Brand||Service Rate 2023||Service Rate 2022||Service Rate 2021|
|Fisher & Paykel||5.0%||N/A||N/A|
Many factors can impact these numbers, most notably supply-chain issues and low inventory.
After all, service calls can drop significantly if a brand isn’t selling as much of a particular appliance.
For example, according to Yale’s latest report:
- LG improved the design on its linear compressor after settling a 2019 class-action lawsuit about the part not properly cooling.
- Samsung’s service call rate dropped sharply in 2021 — lack of availability was a factor. Plus, the report is limited to counter-depth, French door refrigerators. Yale didn’t sell enough Samsung refrigerators to include them in the 2023 report.
- One of Bosch’s most popular models doesn’t have an ice dispenser. Theoretically, this cuts down on service calls since ice dispensers are one of the most common sources of problems.
Because of these factors, you’ll notice that percentages of service rates fluctuate.
To get a more in-depth understanding, you’ll have to read more about report parameters and specific circumstances. Use these results as one of many resources to base your decision.
Caveats aside, the raw data shows that Fisher & Paykel, LG, Café Appliances, and Bosch were the most reliable refrigerator brands in 2023. GE Appliances, KitchenAid, and Beko were the least reliable.
Yet, as noted in the previous section, most repair pros advise against buying LG and Samsung refrigerators. That is why you should always consult several sources before making a decision.
Most Reliable Refrigerator Brands: GE, Bosch, Whirlpool, KitchenAid
Based on my interviews with appliance service professionals, Yale’s annual reliability report, and consumer reviews, GE, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Bosch are the most reliable refrigerator brands right now.
In this section, I highlight key features of each brand and further explain what makes them so reliable.
GE (General Electric) Appliances, a Haier company, has been in existence for over 100 years. It has several manufacturing plants in the United States.
GE sells appliances under several brand names, including GE Appliances, Monogram, GE Profile, Hotpoint, and Café. Products include refrigerators, freezers, washers, and dryers, just to name a few.
Yale’s most recent data shows that GE Profile’s service rate has dropped since 2020. Meanwhile, GE Appliances’ service rate has increased since 2020.
The service professionals I interviewed had mixed reviews about GE. Some had high praise for GE’s durability and performance, while others said it was a brand to avoid.
Still, the brand is known for making stylish and sleek refrigerators that last:
- The Spruce called GE “one of the best in terms of durability” in a recent top refrigerator brands review.
- Good Housekeeping named the GE Profile French Door refrigerator the best overall refrigerator.
- Designer Appliances also weighed in, naming the GE Profile PFE28KYNFS the most reliable refrigerator.
However, consumers complain that the parts wear out quickly after one year. There are also long-term challenges with the temperature control — it’s either too cold or not cold enough. Still, the reviews are mostly positive.
GE Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||GE has manufacturing facilities in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||60+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||GE Profile: 22.8% GE Appliances: 21.9%|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||GE Profile: 10.2% GE Appliances: 12.6%|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||GE Profile: 16.5% GE Appliances: 19.6%|
|Warranty Information||Varies by model. Most have a one-year warranty on parts, five-year warranty on the sealed refrigerator system, and lifetime limited warranty on drawer slides.|
|Common Issues||Poor temperature regulation, longevity concerns, and noisy operation.|
Bosch was founded over 135 years ago in Stuttgart, Germany, by industrialist Robert Bosch. For Bosch, customer relationships were paramount; making money was secondary.
Today, the global company maintains the innovative spirit of its founder. It manufactures a variety of appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, washers, dryers, and ranges. The company also makes kitchen electrics like coffee machines and food processors.
Recent Yale annual reports show that Bosch counter-depth refrigerators have a relatively low service rate. In 2021, the service rate was 16.9%, in 2022 it was 14.9%, and in 2023 it was 10.7%.
The service professionals I polled rated Bosch as a top brand.
In the marketplace, the praise for Bosch refrigerators is echoed:
- Designer Appliances called the Bosch B36CL80ENS the best for temperature control, as it uses two air compressors to separate airflow to the fridge and freezer.
- In 2020, Bosch was named one of the most reliable refrigerators by Puls. Whirlpool took the top spot, followed by Maytag.
- Reviewed.com described the Bosch B36CD50SNS as an editor’s choice pick, delivering near-perfect performance in terms of temperature control in the fridge and freezer.
Consumers are also enamored with Bosch refrigerators. They have highly-rated reviews on HomeDepot.com, BestBuy.com, and Lowes.com.
The overall sentiment is that Bosch refrigerators are stylish and have innovative design features. Yet, the temperature regulation is not always spot on, the panels are easy to dent, and interior spacing could be better.
Bosch Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||Bosch manufactures refrigerators in Germany, Greece, Spain, and China.|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||9|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||16.9%|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||14.9%|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||10.7%|
|Warranty Information||Bosch offers a one-year limited warranty on the appliance, parts, and labor. The warranty covers non-electronic components for two years and electronic components for five years.|
|Common Issues||Dents easily, design flaws with spacing and door closure, and performance issues with temperature regulation.|
Whirlpool was founded in 1911 in Benton Harbor, Michigan. It’s an award-winning company credited for debuting the first automatic washing machine in the late 1940s. It owns several brands, including KitchenAid, Maytag, JennAir, and Amana.
Whirlpool manufactures refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, ranges, and microwaves. Some newer Whirlpool appliances are compatible with Google and Amazon voice assistants and apps like Yummly.
Yale Appliance doesn’t call out Whirlpool refrigerators because they are mainly sold to builders instead of consumers. However, they rate Jenn-Air and KitchenAid, two Whirlpool labels, as reliable. Jenn-Air is number six in the top 10 of most reliable counter-depth refrigerators, with a 15.8% service rate in 2022. You’ll learn about KitchenAid later in this article.
The service professionals I spoke with described Whirlpool as a reliable brand. A representative from HUB Appliance Co. in Massachusetts called the Whirlpool line the “best bet.”
Home improvement sites like HomeDepot.com and Lowes.com revealed mostly favorable Whirlpool reviews from consumers. But a recurring complaint involves areas in the refrigerator where food gets too cold, speaking to issues with temperature control.
Here’s what others had to say:
- Wirecutter called Whirlpool French-door refrigerators “totally solid” in its roundup of the best refrigerators. The review gave Whirlpool high marks for reliability, noting that there were no major complaints about cooling. The overall consensus: it delivers solid performance but could use some design tweaks.
- Whirlpool was the top winner for reliability based on ratings from Puls technicians.
- According to CNET, Whirlpool and its label, Maytag, make the most reliable appliances. One central theme stood out in the article — Whirlpool makes simpler machines than most appliance brands; this simplicity translates into reliability.
- The Spruce named Whirlpool one of the nine best refrigerator brands. The article pointed out that Whirlpool fridges require fewer repairs than comparable brands. It mentioned that Whirlpool refrigerators are known for energy efficiency, durability, and quality.
Whirlpool Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||There are multiple manufacturing locations in the United States, including Ohio, Iowa, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||50+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||N/A|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||N/A|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||N/A|
|Warranty Information||Varies by model. Most have a one-year warranty covering parts and labor for defects in material and workmanship.|
|Common Issues||Inefficient use of space, missing freezer shelves, issues with water/ice dispensers, freezing spots in the fridge, noisy operation.|
KitchenAid launched in 1919 and was acquired by Whirlpool in 1986. While its most famous product is the KitchenAid stand mixer, the brand makes appliances like refrigerators and ranges and a variety of countertop electrics.
Yale Appliance lists KitchenAid as a top-10 reliable appliance in its 2023 annual report. The service rate went from 21.6% in 2021 to 17% in 2022 to 25.5 in 2023. Yale Appliance refers to KitchenAid as a stylish and affordable luxury brand.
Several service professionals I spoke to said KitchenAid is an excellent, reliable refrigerator brand.
The brand also gets praised by the following outlets:
- CNET polled repair professionals in an article about reliable appliance brands. KitchenAid was the second most recommended; Whirlpool was number one.
- The Spruce listed KitchenAid as one of the top nine refrigerator brands. Reviewers called the refrigerators “striking” with high performance and durable features.
Verified purchasers on HomeDepot.com and BestBuy.com love the style of KitchenAid refrigerators. However, some point out quality issues with the ice maker and cooling system.
Another con is the water filter placement on some models. It’s near the floor, making it inconvenient to change and easy to bump when mopping.
KitchenAid Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||Manufactured in various US-based Whirlpool factory locations: Ohio, Iowa, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||20+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||21.6%|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||17%|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||25.5%|
|Warranty Information||Varies by model. Details are on the last page of the owner’s manual for each product.|
|Common Issues||Water filter at the base is easy to hit and inconvenient to access, temperature control, and ice maker breaking frequently.|
According to service professionals and consumer reviews, LG, Samsung, and Frigidaire are the least reliable refrigerator brands.
Here’s what you need to know about each brand.
LG Corporation was founded in 1947 in Busan, South Korea. It’s a multi-generational family business specializing in innovative products to make life easier. Today the brand creates everything from TVs and wireless headphones to washers and dryers.
Almost all the service pros I spoke to said LG is one of the least reliable refrigerator brands. They cited frequent service issues, expensive or hard-to-get parts, and complex repairs for upscale features. In fact, some service pros refuse to sell or repair them.
LG faced a class-action lawsuit in recent years. At issue was a linear compressor causing a cooling defect. LG has since addressed the issue, which could account for Yale Appliance ranking them as the number one reliable refrigerator brand in 2022 and number two in 2023. The service call rate dropped from a steep 27.8% in 2020 to 4.5% in 2022. In 2023, the service rate increased slightly to 6.9%.
Although you might be swayed by seeing LG refrigerators on some “best of” lists, online consumer forums are filled with chatter about LG’s lack of reliability. While the brand has made strides to improve, the pros recommend avoiding it for now.
People who buy LG refrigerators note that they like the quiet operation, sleek modern style, and loads of features. But there are also complaints of longevity issues, poor customer service, and problems with doors aligning and closing properly.
This thread on BestBuy.com gives a revealing look at the questions people are asking about LG compressors. The overall sentiment is that people still have issues and don’t recommend buying an LG refrigerator.
LG Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||South Korea or China|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||30+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||27.8%|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||4.5%|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||6.9%|
|Warranty Information||Varies by model. Most have a one year for parts and labor and five years for parts and labor of the sealed system or compressor. Some models have a 10-year warranty on the compressor.|
|Common Issues||Longevity issues, poor customer service, door misalignment.|
Samsung was founded in 1938 in Daegu, South Korea. It has several subsidiaries, including Samsung Electronics, which makes smartphones, TVs, audio equipment, and home appliances like refrigerators and dishwashers.
According to Yale Appliance, Samsung refrigerators had the second-lowest service rate in 2022. However, Yale Appliance sold fewer Samsung refrigerators in 2022 due to a lack of availability. This improved the service call rate artificially. Yale didn’t sell enough Samsung units in 2022 for the brand to qualify for its 2023 reliability report.
Of all the service professionals I interviewed, Samsung was mentioned every time as a refrigerator brand to avoid. The consensus was that they require repeated service, and it’s hard to get the parts to fix the issues.
Consumers offered favorable reviews online. Many verified purchasers say Samsung refrigerators are spacious, elegantly designed, and full of useful features like a chime when the door is not fully closed. But some cited downsides like issues with temperature control, leaking, and faulty parts.
Wirecutter called Samsung refrigerators “good-looking…with some flashy features at lower prices than other brands.” But, its readers were twice as dissatisfied with Samsung refrigerators than Whirlpool, LG, and GE models.
Samsung Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||Multiple locations: South Korea, Germany, China, Hungary, India, Sweden, Luxembourg, and South Carolina.|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||40+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||20.9%|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||8.4%|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||N/A|
|Warranty Information||The warranty for all Samsung fridges includes one year parts and labor, two years for parts and labor on Ice Max, five-year sealed system coverage, and 10 years for compressor coverage.|
|Common Issues||Temperature control issues, leaking, faulty parts, and unavailable replacement parts.|
Frigidaire’s roots go back to 1913 with the creation of the electric refrigerator invented by Fred W. Wolf. But the company officially became Frigidaire in 1918.
Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, the company offers a variety of products, including refrigerators, ranges, ovens, dishwashers, and cooktops.
Yale doesn’t include Frigidaire on its reliable refrigerator list. Some service professionals I talked to were split on the issue, but most said the brand required frequent service calls.
Verified purchasers also gave mixed reviews. Some love the affordability, fingerprint-proof finish, and spaciousness of the counter-depth models. Others complained about the noisy operation, lack of longevity, and problems with the ice maker.
Wirecutter surveyed its readers about the best refrigerator brands, and Frigidaire had the lowest owner satisfaction rating. The review site noted that the brand doesn’t rank high among professional product reviewers or consumers.
Frigidaire Quick Facts:
|Where It’s Made||United States|
|Number of Refrigerator Models||20+|
|Yale Service Rate 2021||N/A|
|Yale Service Rate 2022||N/A|
|Yale Service Rate 2023||N/A|
|Warranty Information||Each model has warranty information in the user manual, but the general warranty is one year for parts and labor.|
|Common Issues||Noisy operation, frequent ice maker issues.|
Refrigerators are complex machines, especially today with all the built-in technology. Simply put, there’s a lot that can go wrong.
These are the most common issues that require a service call:
- Ice maker failure: This is the most common issue for refrigerators. It impacts newer models more than older ones. They usually leak, stop working, or have low ice output.
- Temperature control: Thermostats malfunction, and sometimes, the elements behind or underneath your refrigerator can become clogged and stop working. This leads to cold spots that cause food in the fridge to freeze.
- Leaking water: A few issues can cause leaks, but the most likely culprits are a faulty water line, defrost drain, or ice maker.
- Ice build-up in freezers: The freezer can get a thick build-up of ice on its walls, or the freezer drawer can freeze shut. In most cases, this is triggered by an over-packed freezer working too hard to keep everything cold.
- Technology failures: The more advanced the technology — like touchscreen refrigerators — the more that could potentially go wrong. Smart refrigerators are relatively new, so they haven’t been time-tested.
The most reliable brands in this guide (GE, Bosch, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid) are not immune to these issues, but they should occur at a lower rate.
Bottom Line: Which Refrigerator Brand Is the Best?
While there are a variety of innovative, durable refrigerator brands on the market, GE, Bosch, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid are the most reliable.
GE is a longtime manufacturer of durable refrigerators with high style and performance. Appliance repair professionals praise GE’s sturdy construction and excellent customer service.
Bosch has been in business since the later 1800s and is known for constantly innovating. The brand manufactures refrigerators that employ cutting-edge technology such as the FarmFresh System — a complex, fourfold system that keeps food fresher for longer.
Whirlpool refrigerators aren’t flashy, but since they keep features minimal, they also have fewer issues.
KitchenAid refrigerators have stunning and thoughtful designs. They come with fingerprint-free finishes, bright LED lighting, and maximum space for food and beverages. According to Yale Appliance’s reports and service professionals, it’s one of the most reliable brands.
Bottom Line — all refrigerators encounter issues, but GE, Bosch, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid are the most reliable brands with the best reputation. They won’t need service often, but when they do, parts are usually available, and most companies service them.
LG, Samsung, and Frigidaire are popular brands, but they are the least reliable and most likely to need repairs.
Learn more about each brand at HomeDepot.com:
- LG vs. GE Refrigerators: 8 Key Differences & How to Choose
- LG vs. Whirlpool Refrigerators: What’s the Difference?
- Samsung vs. LG Refrigerators: 7 Key Differences & How to Choose
- KitchenAid vs. Bosch Refrigerators: What’s the Difference?
- GE vs. Whirlpool Refrigerators: 7 Key Differences & How to Choose
- Frigidaire vs. Whirlpool Refrigerators: 4 Key Differences
- Whirlpool vs. Samsung Refrigerators: 7 Differences & How to Choose
- GE vs. Frigidaire Refrigerators: An In-Depth Comparison
- Average Refrigerator Weight (With 58 Examples)
- How Long Does It Take for a Refrigerator to Cool? (16 Examples)
- How Long Does It Take for a Freezer to Get Cold? (15 Examples)
- Most Reliable Washer and Dryer Brands (and Brands to Avoid)
- The Most Reliable Gas Range Brands (And Brands to Avoid)
- The Most Reliable Electric Range Brands (And Brands to Avoid)
- Samsung Refrigerator: In-Depth Review (With Pictures)
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Appliances Without Streaking
- Printable Home Maintenance Checklist: Monthly, Seasonal, Yearly
- The Most Reliable Dishwasher Brands (And Brands to Avoid)