Are you shopping for a vacuum that performs like a Dyson but costs less?
While Dyson vacuums deliver exceptional performance, they also come with a high price tag.
If a Dyson isn’t in your budget, but you’re looking for the next best option, you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, I break down the best alternatives to Dyson vacuums. You’ll learn how these alternatives compare to Dyson and what (if anything) you’ll sacrifice by choosing the cheaper option.
By the end, you’ll have the facts you need to choose the best vacuum for your home and budget.
Use the links below to navigate the guide:
- The Best Alternative to Dyson Stick Vacuums: Tineco
- The Best Alternative to Dyson Canister Vacuums: Eureka
- The Best Alternative to Dyson Upright Vacuums: Shark
- The Best Alternative to Dyson Handheld Vacuums: Bissell
- Bottom Line: What Is the Best Dyson Vacuum Alternative?
The Best Alternative to Dyson Stick Vacuums: Tineco
Dyson stick vacuums offer everyday cleaning power in a lightweight, ultra-portable design. They feature powerful motors, centrifugal force cyclone technology to capture dirt, deep-cleaning brush bars, and dirt bins that empty with the push of a button.
If you love the features of Dyson stick vacuums but are hung up on the price, the best alternative is Tineco.
Like Dyson, Tineco stick vacuums have multiple power modes, are lightweight, and use cyclonic technology to pick up dirt. Plus, they’re less expensive, aesthetically similar, and convert to a handheld.
Let’s compare the features of both brands in the next section.
Dyson vs. Tineco Stick Vacuums
|Dyson V11 Animal||Tineco A11 Hero|
|Bin Capacity||0.20 gallon||0.16 gallon|
|Attachments Included||Stubborn Dirt Brush, Crevice Tool, High Torque Cleaner Head, Combination Tool, Mini Motorized Tool||LED Multi-Tasker Power Brush, Mini Power Brush, 2-in-1 Dusting Brush, Hair Cleaning Tool, Crevice Tool|
|Width||9.84 inches||10.4 inches|
|Depth||10.28 inches||11.2 inches|
|Weight||6.68 pounds||3.3 pounds|
|Power Cord Length||Cordless||Cordless|
|Run Time||60 minutes||40 minutes|
|Automatic Cord Rewind||No||No|
|Key Features||Designed for Homes with Pets, Whole-Machine Filtration, LED Screen, Multiple Power Modes, Power Management, Hygienic Bin Emptying, Hyperdymium Motor, Radial Root Cyclone Technology, Acoustic Control, Washable Filter||Multiple Power Modes, 4-Stage Sealed Filtration, Cyclonic System, Converts to Handheld Vacuum, Hygienic Bin Emptying, LED Headlights, HEPA and Microfiber Filters|
|Warranty||2-Year Limited Warranty||2-Year Limited Warranty|
|Price||$$$$ (view on Amazon)||$$ (view on Amazon)|
Why It’s the Best Alternative to Dyson Stick Vacuums
Tineco offers the best alternative to Dyson stick vacuums because it mimics some of Dyson’s most coveted features for a fraction of the cost.
For example, Dyson offers several attachments to tackle a variety of cleaning tasks. It also provides the option to transform the stick to a handheld vac on some stick models. When it comes to maneuverability, it’s tough to beat.
Tineco also provides these features. In fact, all Tineco stick vacuums can double as a handheld vac, making it convenient to clean up small messes indoors or out.
And just like Dyson, Tineco offers a range of models, all of which are lightweight and powerful.
Tineco and Dyson both have charging wall mounts and detachable batteries.
Some high-end Dyson stick models run a bit longer than Tineco, offering up to 120 minutes of run time, depending on the model.
Tineco A11 series stick vacuums offer up to 40 minutes of run time, about the same as mid-tier Dyson models.
Dyson has multiple cordless stick vacuum models designed for specific tasks.
- The Dyson V11 Animal is made for homes with pets.
- The Dyson Outsize line offers full-sized vacuum cleaning in the convenience of a lightweight, cordless design.
- The Dyson V15 Detect line is ideal for dusty environments and even offers a sensor with a built-in LCD display to prove its scientific cleaning ability.
- The Tineco A11 Hero is made for deep cleaning carpet with pet hair, ground-in dirt, and dust.
- The Tineco A11 Tango is an everyday vacuum designed to switch between floor types from carpet to hardwood.
- The A10 Spartan is a super lightweight option with a powerful motor to clean up tough dirt as quietly as possible.
Both brands feature cyclonic technology, have advanced filtration features, and offer powerful motors to get the job done.
Tineco stick vacuums are available on Amazon, where you can read thousands of reviews and check the current prices.
The Best Alternative to Dyson Canister Vacuums: Eureka
Dyson canister vacuums have a reputation for excellent suction, convenient attachments, and a large dust bin.
For their size, they are surprisingly nimble — and some models can even turn themselves right side up if they tip over.
If you’re looking for an alternative to Dyson canister vacuums that performs similarly but costs much less, check out Eureka.
Eureka might not offer as many canister models as Dyson, but all models deliver excellent suction, a comparable dust bin, multi-floor cleaning ability, and agile handling.
The best part? They’re significantly cheaper than Dyson. You could buy several Eureka canister vacuums for the price of one Dyson.
Dyson vs. Eureka Canister Vacuums
Eureka offers a more affordable Dyson alternative in a canister-style vacuum. Check out the following chart, comparing both brands’ most popular models.
|Dyson Big Ball||Eureka WhirlWind|
|Bin Capacity||0.48 gallon||0.66 gallon|
|Attachments Included||Combination Tool, Turbine Head, Stair Tool||2-in-1 Integrated Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush|
|Height||12.13 inches||14.17 inches|
|Width||13.66 inches||12.2 inches|
|Depth||15.71 inches||9.65 inches|
|Weight||17.65 pounds||8.29 pounds|
|Power Cord Length||21 feet||16 feet|
|Automatic Cord Rewind||Yes||Yes|
|Key Features||Self-Righting Canister, 2-Tier Radial Cyclone Technology, Hygienic Bin Emptying, Ball Steering, Quick-Release Attachments, Whole-Machine Filtration, Articulating/Telescoping Wand, Washable Filter||Multi-Surface Cleaning, Airflow Control on Handle, Crevice Tool/Dusting Brush Integrated into Handle, Hygienic Bin Emptying, Dual Cyclonic Filtration System|
|Warranty||5-Year Limited Warranty||1-Year Limited Warranty|
|Price||$$$ (view on Amazon)||$ (view on Amazon)|
Why It’s the Best Alternative to Dyson Canister Vacuums
Dyson’s Big Ball canister vacuums boast significant suction power, can handle low-pile/high-pile carpet and hard floors, and are designed to roll alongside you as you use the hose to vacuum while you clean.
Eureka canister vacuums are the best alternative to Dyson canisters because they are more affordable while still offering excellent suction power and an extended reach with a telescoping wand.
Both brands offer plenty of thoughtful features to save you time:
- Multiple cleaning modes: Dyson has a self-adjusting cleaning head, making it easy to go from hard floors to carpet. While the Eureka WhirlWind does not have this feature, it does offer a suction control selector on the handle so you can adjust on the fly.
- Automatic cord rewind: You won’t need to wrap the cord around the unit when you’re done cleaning; it retracts into the vacuum.
- Bagless: Like Dyson, the Eureka Whirlwind canister vacuum is bagless and features a one-touch empty feature on the dust bin. The bins have similar capacity, although Eureka’s is a bit larger (.66 gallon vs. .48 gallon).
- Special features: Both offer one-touch release for accessories. Dyson Big Ball will turn itself upright if it falls over. Eureka has a 2-in-1 crevice tool built-in to the handle, allowing you to keep track of the tool for quick access.
Overall, Eureka canisters thrive on being extremely lightweight and easier to pick up than Dyson Big Ball models. For example, WhirlWind weighs only 8.29 pounds, while the Dyson Big Ball weighs nearly 18 pounds.
Finally, both Dyson and Eureka canister vacuums use cyclonic technology that filters the air while cleaning your floors and other surfaces. Dyson has a more powerful motor, but for the money, Eureka is an excellent alternative.
Eureka canister vacuums are available on Amazon, where you can read thousands of reviews and check the current prices.
The Best Alternative to Dyson Upright Vacuums: Shark
If you’re looking for an upright vacuum that offers similar performance to Dyson but doesn’t cost as much, check out Shark.
Shark upright vacuums are the best alternative to Dyson upright vacuums because, like Dyson, they offer excellent maneuverability, can handle multiple surfaces, and come with additional cleaning tools for intricate areas.
Let’s explore how Shark compares to Dyson.
Dyson vs. Shark Upright Vacuums
|Dyson Ball Multi-Floor Origin||Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe|
|Bin Capacity||0.52 gallon||0.3 gallon|
|Attachments Included||Stair Tool, Combination Tool||Crevice Tool, Upholstery Tool|
|Height||42 inches||45.5 inches|
|Width||15 inches||11.42 inches|
|Depth||13 inches||14.9 inches|
|Weight||17.37 pounds||13 pounds|
|Power Cord Length||35 feet||25 feet|
|Automatic Cord Rewind||No||No|
|Key Features||Radial Root Cyclone Technology, Self-Adjusting Cleaning Head, Whole-Machine Filtration, Hygienic Bin Emptying, Ball Steering, Washable Filter||Detachable Cleaning Pod, Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology, LED Headlights, Rinsable HEPA Filter|
|Warranty||5-Year Limited Warranty||5-Year Limited Warranty|
|Price||$$$ (view on Amazon)||$$ (view on Amazon)|
Why It’s the Best Alternative to Dyson Upright Vacuums
Shark upright vacuums are the best alternative to Dyson because, like Dyson, they focus on ease of use and flexibility. They aren’t cheap, but they’re less expensive than Dyson upright models.
Here’s a quick overview of what you can expect from both in terms of features.
- Dyson upright vacuums use the Dyson Ball technology to navigate floors with ease.
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Cinetic Big Ball comes with various attachments, offering help for precise cleaning scenarios.
- Dust bins are substantial, ranging from 0.42 to 0.57 of a gallon.
- All models have a washable filter and are certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- The hose attachment extends the reach of the upright and allows you to clean difficult-to-access areas, such as under couches or corners of high ceilings.
- Shark doesn’t use “ball technology” for navigation, but it offers a swivel head for agile movement. The ever-popular Shark Lift-Away models also allow you to remove the lightweight body of the vacuum and continue cleaning as you walk around holding it (similar to a canister vacuum).
- The removable bin ensures no dust or debris escapes indoors. It’s a sealed system that traps dust and allergens so your air stays clean. Comparably-priced models from competitors seep air, releasing allergens and dust back into the air.
- The Lift-Away design offers varying height/suction on the head for different types of floors. The bin has a one-button empty feature similar to Dyson.
- Like Dyson, Shark upright models feature self-cleaning brush rolls, perfect for a house with pets. Additionally, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 upright uses similar technology with its tangle-free turbine tool attachment.
- Finally, like Dyson, Shark uprights maneuver well. They can reach high places, work well on stairs, and are perfect for tight spaces.
As you can see, Shark upright vacuums have many comparable features to Dyson but also a few tricks of their own to help you keep your home clean.
Check out Shark upright vacuums on Amazon, where you can read thousands of reviews and view the current prices.
The Best Alternative to Dyson Handheld Vacuums: Bissell
Dyson handheld vacuums, such as the Dyson Humdinger, feature helpful attachments, easy to empty dust bins, and strong suction thanks to the Radial Root Cyclone technology and the Dyson Hyperdymium motor (which spins up to 105,000 rpm).
However, all those features come with a price.
If you need a handheld vacuum, but Dyson isn’t in your budget, the best alternative is the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser handheld vacuum.
Like Dyson, the Bissell vacuum offers powerful suction, extra tools for multiple cleaning tasks, and a large dust bin that empties easily.
Let’s explore what’s similar and different about Dyson and Bissell handheld vacuums.
Dyson vs. Bissell Handheld Vacuums
|Dyson Hyperdymium||Bissell Pet Hair Eraser|
|Bin Capacity||0.05 gallon||0.2 gallon|
|Attachments Included||Mini Motorized Tool, Worktop Tool, Combination Crevice Tool||Motorized Brush Tool, Upholstery Tool, Crevice Tool|
|Height||8.7 inches||5 inches|
|Width||3.34 inches||16 inches|
|Depth||11.33 inches||4.5 inches|
|Weight||2.1 pounds||3 pounds|
|Run Time||20 minutes||17 minutes|
|Key Features||Radial Root Cyclone Technology, Dyson Hyperdymium Motor, Whole-Machine Filtration, Hygienic Bin Emptying, Washable Filter||Hygienic Bin Emptying, Washable Filter, 3-Stage Filter|
|Warranty||2-Year Limited Warranty||1-Year Limited Warranty|
|Price||$$$ (view on Dyson.com)||$ (view on Amazon)|
Why It’s the Best Alternative to Dyson Handheld Vacuums
Dyson handheld vacuums are compact, lightweight, and versatile. Although small, they have Dyson’s trademark feature: powerful suction.
The Bissell Pet Hair Remover is the best alternative to a Dyson handheld vacuum for several reasons.
Like Dyson, it provides strong suction, multiple attachments, and an easy to open dust bin. Plus, it’s significantly less expensive.
The Dyson Humdinger weighs 2.2 pounds, and the Bissell Pet Hair Remover weighs 3 pounds. While the Bissell vacuum is a bit heavier, both are lightweight and easy to maneuver.
Both offer an easy release feature to release dust and dirt directly into a trash can. However, Bissell provides a much larger dust and dirt bin.
Both brands are cordless and boast powerful, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The run time for Dyson models lasts a little longer than Bissell handhelds, but it depends on what tools are connected.
Finally, both brands offer useful attachments to tackle debris in tight spaces and remove stubborn substances like pet hair.
Overall, the Bissell Pet Hair Remover may not look as sleek as Dyson handheld vacuums, but it’s an excellent alternative because it delivers solid performance at a fraction of the cost.
Check out the Bissell Pet Hair Remover handheld vacuum on Amazon, where you can read thousands of reviews.
Bottom Line: What Is the Best Dyson Vacuum Alternative?
Dyson is undoubtedly one of the best vacuum brands on the market. But the features and performance you get with Dyson come at a cost.
Fortunately, Dyson isn’t the only show in town, and the alternatives in this guide will get you similar results at a much lower price.
Before you make your choice for the best Dyson vacuum alternative, let’s recap my top picks:
- Tineco A11 Hero Stick Vacuum: This is an affordable stick vacuum that doubles as a handheld. It has multiple attachments and runs for up to 40 minutes on a full charge. It is designed to deep clean carpets and hard floors/surfaces, removing pet hair and debris of all types.
- Eureka WhirlWind Canister Vacuum: This lightweight model features a suction control selector and a 2-in-1 crevice tool built right into the handle for convenience. It rolls along with you as you use the hose to clean, and the cyclonic technology sucks and traps dust, dirt, hair, and other dry substances.
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum: The standout feature of this vacuum is its removable cleaning pod. The self-cleaning brush rollers are perfect for homes with pets. It’s not cheap, but it’s less expensive than Dyson models.
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser: This handheld vacuum delivers excellent suction. It’s specifically designed to clean up after pets, expertly removing pet hair, spilled dry food, and ground-in dirt from paw prints.
So, which Dyson alternative is best for you? It depends on the type of vacuum you need.
Stick vacuums are convenient but have limited bin capacity, canister vacuums are ideal for multi-surface floors (rugs and hard surfaces), handhelds are perfect for cleaning in small spaces, and uprights are great for general cleaning.
If you’re still unsure which alternative is right for you, I recommend the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe because it offers the best of all worlds. It’s lightweight, can convert to a wired handheld vacuum, has a decent bin capacity, offers good suction, and has enough attachments to get the job done. Plus, Shark is one of the top vacuum brands with a reputation for producing high-performing machines.
Bottom line — Dyson makes high-quality vacuums with features that are tough to beat, but the alternatives in this guide offer excellent performance for a much lower price.
Check out all the alternatives on Amazon at the links below:
- Tineco A11 Hero Stick Vacuum
- Eureka WhirlWind Canister Vacuum
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Deluxe Upright Vacuum
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
- Bissell vs. Dyson: Which Vacuums Are Better?
- Bissell CrossWave Models Compared (With Chart)
- Central Vacuum System Pros & Cons: Are They Worth It?
- Do Robot Vacuums Damage Hardwood Floors? (How to Prevent It)
- Canister vs. Upright: Which Type of Vacuum Is Better?
- Top 4 Best Vacuums for Hardwood Floors and Area Rugs (With Pictures)